Monday, November 3, 2008

Support - What's that?????

Apologies if anyone thinks I am looking for sympathy ... I AM NOT. I am writing this to get it off my chest and to help raise awareness.

I am pleased to see that more focus is being placed on removing the stigma towards how depression is perceived and that a greater awareness/understanding is being placed on mental illness.

I had a bad day today. I rang my mother for a chat and some "support" only to be told, "Pull Yourself Together!" and "You can't behave like this!". I was teary and emotional. I know in my heart and head that it was a bad day and it would pass but it is not what I needed to hear from her. I find it extremely frustrating as it is almost as if my mother will not accept that something or someone in her life is not PERFECT!!!

Yes, I know I am an adult
Yes, I am independent
Yes, I have a job
Yes, I have two beautiful daughters

BUT

YES Mom, I have depression ... deal with it. I have to.

I accept that I have down days. I know the ups outweigh the downs. I have great friends and enjoy fun times spent with them.

Why is it that some people just can't understand that depression is a illness not a disease that one can catch?

I guess I have learnt who I can depend on ... and as the Beatles said "I get by with a little help from my friends"

I am including a link to a song that always seems to make me feel better.
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=bOiTaaoKca4&feature=related

Please do your bit and help create awareness.

http://www.beyondblue.org.au/index.aspx?

1 comment:

Charlie said...

thanks for this gorgeous personal story and insight Dana... the more we chat about the subject, the more normal it will seem i feel and we can break down some barriers into acceptance (of depression).

i suspect your mum doesn't want to hear you crying and upset because she wants you happy (as we all do) so don't be too harsh on her.

i have to confess to being a little impatient with general online "whinging" (not from you i have to add but in general) as i don't think it helps those who do suffer. i'm sure they see it as an outlet however random comments posted such as "i hate myself" really don't go towards creating a loving positive environment around those we are trying to support. it really just turns me off personally! especially when you ask "why" and they can't respond... anyway...

your blog is a great example (and i like Maria's too) of how you can explain your pain to someone like me, and we can in turn then understand and support. there is no shame in explaining - there is only gain. however i do understand the huge sacrafice it takes to write and reach out.

i'm just a simple girl who likes her friends to be happy. basically because i am better when i'm happy (i've had some trying times too!!). i'm certainly no social worker who understands how to "deal with" or "treat" a depressed person... but i do just wish love and hugs... and you can fall asleep and laze on my couch any day... if that's what makes you happy!!! i will just be there xx